Friday, November 4, 2011

It's Been A While

Aurelia continues to grow and thrive and is doing fantastically well, but I am getting ahead of myself. Our last update was in July, just after her heart surgery. She recovered well and we were home a week after the surgery, though there were a few difficulites along the way. She is a quick healer though. We were not supposed to give her belly time for a full two weeks after her surgery, but that didn't stop her from giving herself belly time. Prior to the surgery, she had been working on crawling (a very slow form of it that includes lots of rolling), and she wasn't willing to let a little thing like open heart surgery get in the way of her practice! The doctors told us that she would self-regulate and if it hurt her to be on her belly, she wouldn't do it. Well, either she's one tough cookie - or it really didn't hurt. She spent as much time as possible on her belly!

We were relieved that we did not have to turn the distractors in her jaw any more. That finished just prior to her heart surgery. Now the plan was to wait and allow her jawbone to heal. We returned to CHOP in late August for a follow-up sleep study and I was happy that we were able to go home the next day (quite different than the previous one that ended with a 2-week stay in the hospital!). We later got the results of the sleep study that still showed mild-moderate sleep apnea, but it was GREATLY improved. Which means that the mandibular distractors worked and that the pain and frustration of moving her jaw was worth it. There was a chance that she would have gone through all of that and it wouldn't have worked. We were ecstatic to hear that the procedure was a success! Aurelia was scheduled to get the distractors taken out in September, just 2 days before her first birthday.

While we waited for that surgery date, she continued with her weekly therapies. She has a Physical Therapist (Miss Marjorie) and a Developmental Therapist (Miss Lynne), who she was been working with since February. In July, we added Occupational Therapy (with Miss Judi), which she also gets weekly. She makes improvements daily. In July, while she was in the hospital, she began sitting up, unassisted. And now, just a couple of months later, she is army crawling and is able to get anywhere that she wants to go. Over the last week or so, she began to get herself into a sitting position from a laying position, all by herself! Aurelia really is one determined little girl, which is wonderful to see such fierce strength and will. Madison is truly her biggest cheerleader ~ she jumps and shouts out "you did it Aurelia! I'm so proud of you!" each time that Aurelia sits up!

Another addition to Aurelia's daily routine has been the introduction to FOOD. Yes, actual baby food! In August, she had an appointment with the feeding team and while they are cautious, they are allowing us to give Aurelia an ounce of stage-2 baby food one time a day. The fear is that she is a risk for aspiration, so we have to be very careful. Also, because her core isn't that strong yet, she tires out very quickly. An ounce of food isn't a whole lot, but it is about all that she can handle at this point in time. The introduction of food has been a slow one. Aurelia had been grabbing at our plates/forks/anything left close by for months. And she brings everything to her mouth, but as we discovered when we first gave her baby food, she didn't quite know what to do with the food when she got it into her mouth. Like any baby getting their first tastes, she spit most of it out. She is extremely enthusiastic though and grabs the spoon from us with almost every bite. From the first time that I gave her some applesauce, she has tried to feed herself. And I'm happy to say that now, nearly 3 1/2 months later, most of the food actually gets swallowed. AND, she's been enjoying little star puffs, so she is slowly getting the idea of how food and her mouth are supposed to work. We will reevaluate all of this once she gets her cleft palate repaired. We will likely have to start all over because she'll have a whole new mouth, which will work a bit differently. In the meantime, we soldier on with trying different tastes and different textures. In fact, we just added a FOURTH weekly therapy. She will now be seeing Miss Cindy, a Speech Therapist, on a weekly basis too. It is great to have so many services available to us! In PA, she gets all of these therapies at our house (until age 3), which is so covenient. I try to be home for all of them, but it is great that she can still have therapy at home when I can't be there (it is good for our new nanny, Kaitlyn, to see what goes on in the therapies too).

On to the surgeries... As I mentioned above, Aurelia was supposed to get the distractors out on September 21st. But, our little girl caught a cold and it was decided to postpone the surgery. No need to put any additional risks on the surgery. We had a to wait a full month, but on October 24th, the distractors FINALLY came out! Aurelia healed quickly and we were only in the hospital for one night. What a miracle worker she is!

And now we are anticipating her FINAL surgery, cleft palate repair, for next week, November 9th. This will be surgery #12 and we are so excited that it will soon be over. Again, it should be a one night hospital stay. Some kids stay longer, but since Aurelia is primarilly tube-fed, we don't have to worry about getting her back on an eating schedule. I'm sure that her mouth will be sore. In fact, one of our therapists noticed this week that Aurelia's tongue seems to be tied, so there may be an additional part to her surgery. I called her plastic surgeon, a really great guy named Dr. Jesse Taylor, and he'll take a look at her when we come in for the surgery and decide whether or not he can do that repair at that time too. I still can't believe that none of us noticed her tongue before because it is now so obvious to me. Either way, we are very hopeful that once her cleft is repaired, we'll be able to increase her oral feedings.

I hope to write more next week and try to keep this blog a bit more active with entries. I will also add some photos later, but I really wanted to get you caught up on what has been happening since July. As I said, our girl is growing and thriving and doing really well. We are so proud of the work that she is doing and with how far she has come.

4 comments:

  1. To Jillian and Charley:

    Merry Christmas to you and your children. I sincerely hope that all is well and that you enjoy this December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Auriella
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. You are an amazing, precious gift and special earthly angel. You are full of courageous, strength, determination, and fight. You are a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspiration. You are a princess hero, beautiful trooper, and a tough cookie. You are full of life, spunk, joy, smiles, and sunshine. You have taught everyone about life, and the gift of life. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/champ291 I love it when people sign my guestbook. i was born with a rare life threatening disease, and 13 other diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a promise to tell my testimony all over the globe once my man come back to me and my husband came just as Great Mother told me when she helped me. I made the right choice to have contacted Great Mother the great spell caster who is capable of helping you solve your problems. My man left me to suffer and i never believed that he will come back to me again but when i contacted Great Mother she assured me that my man will come again. She gave me some list of items to buy but i could not get them in my country and so i sent her the money and she bought the items and prepared the perfect love spell. My husband ran back to me in 3 days time begging for forgiveness THIS IS SO REAL AND GENUINE. NO SCAMS. I was so surprise that the spell worked just as she told me. This is so amazing and i want you to believe because Great Mother is so real and i urge you contact her now on her email so that she can also help you the way she helped me. Her email is Greatmotherofsolutiontemple@yahoo.com and you can also contact her with her phone number on whats app +2348078359876 you can also check and contact her on
    Greatmotherofpowers.blogspot.com
    Greatmotherofsolution.blogspot.com

    I made a promise to tell my testimony all over the globe once my man come back to me and my husband came just as Great Mother told me when she helped me. I made the right choice to have contacted Great Mother the great spell caster who is capable of helping you solve your problems. My man left me to suffer and i never believed that he will come back to me again but when i contacted Great Mother she assured me that my man will come again. She gave me some list of items to buy but i could not get them in my country and so i sent her the money and she bought the items and prepared the perfect love spell. My husband ran back to me in 3 days time begging for forgiveness THIS IS SO REAL AND GENUINE. NO SCAMS. I was so surprise that the spell worked just as she told me. This is so amazing and i want you to believe because Great Mother is so real and i urge you contact her now on her email so that she can also help you the way she helped me. Her email is Greatmotherofsolutiontemple@yahoo.com and you can also contact her with her phone number on whats app +2348078359876 you can also check and contact her on
    Greatmotherofpowers.blogspot.com
    Greatmotherofsolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, fatigue, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete